A view in 1996 of the historic foundations uncovered in the southwest corner of the Thomas Edison State College campus during expansion of the college buildings A sale advertisement for the cotton mill indicating that the building was still standing in 1822
The 2008-09 excavations have told a somewhat different story and a round of reinterpretation is now in order. Deeply buried on the east side of Petty’s Run several different stone foundations have been found, most of which resolve into two separate overlapping building footprints. A lower, earlier, less well-preserved set of foundations, set slightly at an angle to the line of West State and West Front Streets and not quite perpendicular to the Petty’s Run culvert, is now seen as the remains of the plating mill. This building footprint does not match up with the corner foundation on the Thomas Edison State College site. An upper set of foundations, however, does fit well with the corner foundation, giving a building footprint 30 feet square in plan.
A sale advertisement for the cotton mill indicating that the building was still standing in 1822